Sunday, January 27, 2013

3rd Entry: Some mumble jumble

You only have one line. Nothing more. Get into the story. Get real. Do anything you possibly can to emerge yourself into that situation. Who are you? Where are you at? What time is it? Who are you talking to? Is this the first time you meet? If it isn't, when / where / what happened the last time? If it is, what do you think about the person talking to you and standing in front of you?

I had to create a whole scenario for that one line, "your re-birthday". Sure, it all happened in 20 minutes from the moment I got the script until the moment I'm going for real in front of the camera. I still have some tensions and I can still delve into the situation more, but what the hell, it worked. Kind of. I did all I can in that 20 minutes. It's all one can ask for. 

Sometimes it seemed like the best question to ask myself is, "Do you care what's happening right now?" or, "Are you saying this like you mean it?" It's simple, but it seems like they work most of the time. Sometimes I also ask "what are you really saying?"

---

I was watching The Expendables 2 the other day just because, and there was a young guy mingling in Stallone's macho, grumpy, all-action ensemble. His name is Billy the Kid. His actual name is Liam Hemsworth. He only had about 20 minutes (max) of screen-time, and there was a moment when his character was talking about being in Iraq and being fed up about losing dear comrades and dealing with abusive commanders. Not that true acting always mattered in a popcorn movie, but hey, he was truthful in his monologue. I felt it. 

Note to self: no matter what I do, even if it's a McDonalds commercial where there's literally no character at all, find one and be one. Do it like I mean it. I might go further than I thought.

No comments: